A Day in the life
A day in our studios is centered around student-led activities: well-defined blocks of time for work and play with clear objectives and lots of room for each student to implement their own learning strategies. This allows young people to manage their time, collaborate with each other, set their own goals and be accountable for their own learning outcomes. As learners demonstrate their ability to learn in this environment, they earn more freedom and responsibility.
Step into a day in the life at Acton Academy Princeton:
In a regular day, we:
- Kick-off each day with a "launch"
- Reserve the mornings to work on Core Skills (Reading, Writing and Math)
- Focus on hands-on projects in the afternoon
- Ensure there's enough time to come together as a learning-community to reflect on challenges, learnings and ideas, and hold student-led Socratic discussions to think deeply about these challenges
- Carve out blocks of (1) "quiet time" for individual critical thinking, (2) play to encourage exploration collaboration, and (3) exercise to stay active and energized.
A Learner-Driven Community
Our Learner Driven Communities are run mostly by our learners, where closely connected families of lifelong learners are bound by clear covenants; and “Learning to Do” and “Learning to Be” are even more important than “Learning to Know.”.
- Students create and sign a Contract of Promises describing how each individual will act and the consequences for violating community norms.
- Mentor teams encourage younger and older students to listen, affirm, set goals and hold each other accountable.
- "Learn to Be" badges that celebrate character and completing leadership challenges.
Hi, I'm Colin Galle. 👋
I'm Founder & Head of School at Acton Academy Princeton
I'd love to hear from you. Fill out the form below and I'll get back to you as soon as we can.